Monday 1 August 2011

BYE, BYE....I'M OFF FOR A 9 HOUR SHIFT AT THE FACTORY

I've named a few products in my time so I know that it usually ends up happening by committee but what on earth possesses any group to name a children's holiday playscheme: 'The Factory?' Do they not understand parental guilt at all? Surely the idea of chlldren dodging spinning jennies to pick up bobbins is not a happy association? Lets leave the sweat shop labour for the parents, I reckon. And, anyway, the place doesn't look nearly as bad as a factory, it looks more like a nice open prison.

I was so proud of X when I picked her up from The Factory tonight. She was exhausted and grimy and had big scratches on both her knees but was still bravely smiling. Do little children in real sweat shops smile at the end of the day? Maybe sometimes they do. Children never fail to amaze like that. I like to imagine that some may even pretend to themselves they are having fun as they sew sequins onto jeans with nimble little fingers. I'm practiced in finding easy salves to my conscience. By the way, according to this recent Daily Mail article Nike are still using sweat shop labour: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014325/Nike-workers-kicked-slapped-verbally-abused-fact/index.html





No comments: