Friday 29 April 2011



PRINCE AND PRINCESSES MARRY WITH MILLIONS CHEERING, SOLDIERS MARCHING, A GOWN OF LACE AND SILK, A TIARA, FOOTMEN AND COACHES -WELL, ABSOLUTELY- ............. WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU ARE 4?

It was a run of the mill Cinderella experience for X, she probably wondered why her mum seemed strangely moved and close to booing. Her mum was a church chorister who spent every saturday of her childhood marrying people, three a day for 25p per service. The music today: Rutter. That was great! But also: seeing my gorgeous, four-year-old daughter, who totally believes in true prince and princess true love, see a coach with horses and a princess in silk and satin, I surprised myself - no, shocked myself- by the way I glorified in it. It made me suddenly realise that, much as I might pretend to myself that I'm above that kind of thing, that I measure my life against the Royals far more than I thought. This little wedding, that I'd not been that bothered about, suddenly brought back memories of my grandmother, my mother... all kinds of memories.

For me it was Pippa Middletona that did it. She looked so gorgeous and supported her sister so utterly sexily and selflessly. Sexy and selfless. That's a sexy new sister vibe: Pippa Middleton - I take my fascinator off to you. I called my sister and apologised for refusing point blank to go to a spa with my sister before her wedding. And for refusing to be a senior maid of honour. And - a point that caused my mother not talk to me on the night after the event and for some weeks after that - didn't even bother to make sure my pen had black ink in it before the register signing. My shame is recorded in blue in the church records. I called up my sister today and told her how sorry I was. She seemed a bit surprised.

In the afternoon X's bestest friend, well, actually , she sometimes calls him her prince, came to play. And the most brilliantest thing in the world is that X's most bestest friend is the son of my bestest friend. And we both have adopted out children. What a coincidence?! Well, the children found each other first, but really it is just so good to have a play date for 4 year olds that over 40 year olds feel as good about it. And X's best friends mum is about to marry X's best friend's dad, so we can talk weddings and adoption all afternoon. She said a magic word to me: 'redemption'. And then I knew that she and I understood eachother in ways that you don't expect in everyday life. We were just brewing another cuppa when we realised the two children had been quiet for at least five minutes. I strode upstairs and found them naked and giggling in a hot bath together, four little half botties gleaming at me and them both roaring with laughter.




No comments: